https://www.facebook.com/dogblessedllc

Friday, November 20, 2020

The Greatest Gift


Most of us remember the wise words from  Dr. Suess,

"Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!"

"Well, in Whoville they say - that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of Christmas came through, and the Grinch found the strength of *ten* Grinches, plus two!"

 I believe, our pets often share the same message, gifts from the heart mean so much more; it is the laughs, homemade gifts, and the things you did to give back that will resonate most in your memory. Our pets don't care about the price of things, for them it's about the love and fun.

There is something about Christmas that puts that sparkly fairy dust in the air. We bake, we wrap, we want to give and make merry.

My furry friends and I would like to encourage you to share just a smidge of that magic in your heart and merriment and remember to give back in any way that resonates with your heart.

Giving back can be not only rewarding but fun. I really enjoy heading up charity pet photos with Santa. It is an evening of laughter, joy and giving back. Even this year, with the pandemic we found a safe way to continue the tradition. Sometimes you have to do a little creative thinking and stay diversified but when you are a jolly elf, doing Santa’s good work for those who need it, a way will present itself.

The greatest gift I ever received, I sadly lost at the end of January after 15 ½  years, my dog Odin J.  I am so grateful for all the years we spent together, teaching each other, increasing our bond and enjoying the never long enough journey. I write this article to continue his message to “Help all dogs (and pets) live their best lives”, in his honor. The love I received from the little rescued boy found freezing in the snow was something I hold in my heart forever and ever. Odin knew I could never replace him. He also knew I was lonely and sent me a gift from heaven above to help my heart heal. He sent this gift via Louisiana to Muskegon Humane, a furry white dog with Odin marking both his sides in the shape of a heart so I knew his message was clear.  This goofy silly boy, named “Odin J.’s Heavenly Sent Heart” ‘Olaf A Snowman’”, keeps a smile on my face and my heart lighter. I KNOW Odin J. will always be my guardian angel and is making sure I am being taken care of.



Another of my most treasured gifts, I was given right after Odin J. passed. A gold bone that hangs on a kennel at Muskegon Humane. This bone was given as a gift from my good friend and business partner, Paula. She generously donated this bone and paid to sponsor a kennel for one year in Odin’s name. The sponsorship pays for a dog to eat in the kennel for one year. I cannot think of a greater honor to a loved one than to sponsor this in their name. I plan to continue this sponsorship for as long as I am able. I go into the shelter to visit and take photos and try to find homes for all the dogs, but I feature the dogs in his kennel on social media in his honor, in hopes they can find their furever family even faster.

One by one we can all make a difference. What way would make your heart smile? What time, talent or gift can you afford to give? Shelters are struggling now more than ever.

“Saving that one dog (one cat or one horse) will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever."

Angel Odin, Olaf, Raven kitty and I make a Christmas wish that all the homeless pets and those in shelters will have their world changed for the better. We hope they find their perfect fur-ever home and never feel lonely again.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment