https://www.facebook.com/dogblessedllc

Friday, August 14, 2020

A do over for 2020 PLEASE

 


“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” ― Josh Billings

The year 2020 did not start out very well.  My best furry friend, Odin J. transitioned to the rainbow bridge. Now we are in a crazy pandemic. I would like a do-over please!

Missing my Odin J. now at the rainbow bridge


I am so so thankful to Alexis, director at Muskegon Humane. At the end of February, she connected me with a sweet boy to foster.  Fostering, led to adopting. I could not even fathom another dog after losing my soul dog.  One day someone told me this and it stuck in my mind; you can love two siblings and love both and not feel guilty. It helped me to cope and look at things differently.  I hope it may help others that are struggling.

Olaf, my new adopted dog, is not a replacement. However, I have so much love to give this sweet rescue who is being treated for heart worm. He has given me so much love and consoling in return! He is definitely lived up to his proper name, Odin J.’s Heavenly Sent Heart “Olaf A. Snowman.” Kitty Raven instantly fell in love with him, after she bat him in the face, and he fell on his back all 4 feet up in the air. They became fast friends!

Olaf was transferred and saved, from a shelter in Louisiana. Muskegon Humane went to help St. Landry Parish, the poorest in Louisiana because they are in the Bissell Pet foundation network. They have an extraordinarily high intake and no funding for adoption preparation. The animals that enter that shelter only have a chance if they are transferred out.

Olaf’s shelter mate was also rescued and pregnant. After the puppies were born my friend and partner, Paula, took them in to foster and help them start them out right. Some people think they should wait until a puppy is through its whole set of vaccines before exposing your puppy to anything. We believe that is too long to wait to have a well-rounded, fear free happy life. When a puppy is young, they should be curious about anything new. If you present it in a positive way, it will just seem normal. We dressed up in big bulky clothing, sunglasses, hats and backpacks and picked up the puppies. We exposed them to things such as under the car dollies and rolling chairs. We showed them ceiling fans moving. These things can be very scary for a puppy if introduced too late in life.








During this pandemic meeting other people is quite difficult. Paula and I met outside at her house, social distanced and worked with the puppies. I brought my vaccinated dog so that they could get used to other dogs. Paula introduced her dog Pepper. It is so important to introduce puppies to adult dogs, children, and NEW people, so they do not become fearful. The puppy’s mother and you are not enough. Understandably, it is hard right now with social distancing, but you can find ways. You could put your puppy on a very long leash. You can meet a friend in their back yard that is fenced. Paula went above and beyond and showed the puppies cows, pigs, goats and horses. They had multiple surfaces to walk on and interactive toys to explore. If you go to our Facebook Dog Blessed LLC. there is a lot of videos and puppy how to’s. I really want to commend Paula for everything she has done for these puppies to start them out right. I am thankful I had the opportunity to help.

I encourage you if you adopt a puppy to make this your number one priority. Waiting until they're six months old it is too late.

Remember a dog will love your unconditionally. Give them what they need, they pay you back tenfold.   Also try to remember everyone is dealing with this pandemic in a different way. I believe we all must try to think like a dog and just be understanding. We all need to strive to be more like the animals that don't judge. (myself included) They live in the moment. I believe we all need to listen to the animals and nature.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment