https://www.facebook.com/dogblessedllc

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Canine Rally, a fun sport for you and your best friend


"Play creates laughter, joy, and a feeling of inner peace. It is almost impossible to stay stuck, angry or frustrated when you are playing"~ Marriane St. Claire

When training with dogs I believe it is important to keep it FUN and positive. This will ensure you have a dog who wants to please,and trusts you because you have become a TEAM. If you chose to train in a harsher manner, you may get results and have a dog that obeys you but only because it fears you. Personally, I would rather have a bond based on mutual trust.
I believe canine rally helps to promote this kind of bond.
Victoria Stillwell, Dog trainer, Television presenter, and Author supports this sport and states , "Rally encourages human/ canine verbal communication, eye contact and teamwork."
I have mentioned in previous articles my dog, Odin, has some fears that have caused him in the past to over react when he is afraid.However, that being said with bonding techniques and fun training he has learned to trust me to keep him safe and is much more at ease. He still has his fears but I know not to set him up for failure, and give him a safe retreat when he feels threatened. We have learned to redirect those fears in a way that allows him to live a happy fulfilled life and still participate in fun events.
One of his favorite fun sports is canine rally. I believe practicing this is a huge factor in Odin learning to focus on me, resulting in strengthening his trust.
Rally helps to keep your dog focused on you when in a distracting environment. A dog learns to stay in heal position on/and or off leash through a series of stations, that may consist of cones, jumps, sits, turns, and more. Rally is set up as a course of designated stations with the dog in heel position. The course consists of 10 to 20 signs that instruct you what to do. Unlike traditional obedience, handlers are allowed to encourage their dogs during the course, stay animated and have fun. The signs may have words, symbols or arrows on them instructing you what to do. A sign can vary from something as simple as a sit and stay while you walk around them, the next sign may tell you to weave in between the cones with your dog in heal position. The next sign may send dog over jump and then come back to heal position. When I am performing each sign, I tell Odin to watch me and use a combination of verbal and hand cues to encourage what I want him to do next. I stay happy, bouncy and make it a game. He prances like a horse skipping for joy when it is time to practice. This has encouraged him to look to me for guidance in other situations.
I never intended on competing in rally. I just practiced it to assist with training, but Odin had so much fun,I thought, 'why not?' We don't compete a lot but I am proud to say my rescue dog has earned himself quite a lot of blue ribbons and titles, when we do.

There are trials in most areas put on by UKC, AKC and more. Recently we have offered our students at Dog Blessed LLC. a fun course that we video record them doing. We then download it and give them a link so they can send it into Cyber rally to be judged and earn titles cyber-ly.
This is a great opportunity without travel. It is also a great opportunity for dogs that have a fears and /.or are reactive, to compete in a non- stressful situation.
Odin and I give rally a 4 paws up. If you would like to  see videos and more about rally feel free to  go to Dog Blessed LLC's facebook. If you are in West MI and would like to  attend a rally class, that we also combo with AKC trick classes please contact Dog Blessed LLC.
Rally is just one of many fun games available to play with your dog. Remember to find your inner child, be joyful and create a special bond when playing whatever game you chose.

Keep connected on Facebook: Memory Stones by Jodi, Furry Philosophy, Camp Kylee, Odin J.s Earthly Treasures, Dog Blessed LLC Also furryphilosophy.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment